Re: business cards

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Wed, 24 May 2000 15:10:28 -0400
 To:  ladypanther(at)mindspring.com,
hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I've had the worst time trying to create business cards in pagemaker. ...
>Frankly, I think that if I just had access to a nice template that
>this would really be the easiest solution to this dilemma.  What do
>you think?
>
>Also, while I have you here, what would you set your image
>resolution so that it prints out more cleanly?  Thanks for any and
>all suggestions

PageMaker isn't the ideal program for creating business cards. You
would do better using Illustrator, which has graphic tools and also
handles text very well. That isn't to say that you can't do it all in
PageMaker.

If the cards are going to a printer (e.g., offset printing,
thermograph, etc.), then you probably only need a single composite of
the card. Some quick printers print them 2-up, in which case having 2
images on the page, appropriately arranged, would be preferable.
Check with your printer.

If you intend to print out the cards yourself on a desktop printer,
then the setup would be different. You may want to use the
microperforated cards available from Avery, etc., which handle 10
standard-size cards per page. You can easily create the template by
measuring the card. In PageMaker, you can use the guides to set up
spaces for the ten cards. You may have to adjust the placement to
compensate for any inaccuracies in how your printer's setup. Then
create one composite image and copy it nine times.

The image resolution depends primarily on what output device you're using.

Jeff