Re: PhotoShop & Resolutions

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Fri, 4 Aug 2000 15:55:56 -0400
 To:  Kate Katzban-Beren <Katekat(at)wi-easterseals.org>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I am making a web page for a collectible ornament
>for Easter Seals Wisconsin and I need to add the logos of our sponsors.
>Unfortunately many of the logos are optimized for print use at a resolution
>of 1200.  These graphics are in TIF format and when I lower the resolution
to 72 they look horrible.

Logos *should* be designed so that they work at various resolutions and sizes.

Photoshop can make the conversion as well as just about any other
application, but there is a learning curve. In outline form, what you
need to do involves the following:

First, you want to open the TIF files and Save As to the Photoshop
(PSD) format. In general, it's best to edit in the psd format.

You should be working in RGB Mode, not CMYK (Image menu/Mode/ RGB color).

Next, you probably want to resize the graphic (Image menu/Image Size)
to the pixel dimensions you want. At this stage, you can also change
the resolution to 72 ppi.

You may want to adjust the image sharpness (Filter
menu/Sharpen/Unsharp Mask), but use this filter sparingly.

Finally, you'll want to convert the image to a GIF or JPEG, depending
on the image. If you're using Photoshop 5.5, you can easily do this
via the File menu/Save for Web. If using an earlier version of
Photoshop, then it's either File menu/Save As or File menu/Export.

There are other ways to approach the conversion, depending on the
image and individual preferences.

Jeff