Re: How to make a counter

by Wendy Melendez <MelendW(at)jcdc.jobcorps.org>

 Date:  Thu, 24 Sep 1998 12:34:24 -0500
 To:  <Suzanne_Corcorran(at)countrywide.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Thanks Suzanne for all your help, but do you know a site where I can get information of how to make the counter using Javascript?

I really don't want to use those free services, because I don't want their names be displayed on my page.

Cheers,
Wendy

>>> "Suzanne Corcorran" <Suzanne_Corcorran(at)countrywide.com> 09/24 10:47 AM >>>

You can also do this with Java...however, I was trying to give the easiest
(albeit, not the best) solution.  There are also services that will provide
you with not only a "canned" counter, but complete statistical information
for no charge.  One of these is located at:

http://www.freestats.com/

However, most these want you to display banners on your site in exchange
for the free service.

Cheers,
Suzanne

Tom Grenier <tom(at)sqlman.com> on 09/23/98 10:49:29 PM

To:   Wendy Melendez <MelendW(at)jcdc.jobcorps.org>, hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
cc:    (bcc: Suzanne Corcorran/MIS/CF/CCI)
Subject:  Re: How to make a counter

I hate to put my foot on my mouth -- but as this is the only response
I've seen, let me add a couple of other (although maybe not nearly as
nice or easy) alternatives.

First a disclaimer -- I know nothing of FrontPage except that I've seen
the results and don't like them.  But then I earn my living playing with
databases -- not web pages.  With that said...

Many ISP's have canned routines for counters.  (If you are running your
own web server this is probably not the answer -- but if not...) I don't
use a counter -- but my ISP supplies about a dozen different styles if I
want -- it requires just a single line in your html code.  Have you
checked with your ISP to see if they already have code available?

Another way -- but much more complicated -- is a perl CGI.  You need to
have availability to the perl executables AND open write permission (for
the userid a web surfer will have when in your site) in the directory
your html homepage is in (and probably the ability to run a cgi as your
index/default/home page).  If this is the way you want to go and don't
know perl -- I can write the routine for you.

Tom

Suzanne Corcorran wrote:

> You can make your own graphics and use them in conjunction with MS
> FrontPage to create a custom counter.
>
> Cheers,
> Suzanne
>
> Wendy Melendez <MelendW(at)jcdc.jobcorps.org> on 09/23/98 11:26:19 AM
>
> To:   hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
> cc:    (bcc: Suzanne Corcorran/MIS/CF/CCI)
> Subject:  How to make a counter
>
> Hi:
>
> This is my first time sending an e-mail to you people, and I am looking
> information of how to make my own web counter.
>
> Wendy Melendez
> Web Administrator
> Job Corps Data Center

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !