Re: Fireworks tutorial?

by jdowdell(at)macromedia.com (John Dowdell)

 Date:  Fri, 1 Oct 1999 12:26:41 -0700
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 3:52 PM 9/29/99, Cathy Gellis wrote:
> I can tell that Fireworks will do the things I need it to do (eg,
> warp text) but I'm finding the documentation too opaque to be
> useful.  Does anyone know where I might find a tutorial to run
> through to get a feel for how this program works?

The documentation has to be opaque, or else you'd see right through to the

Seriously, the manuals usually tell you about the tool, item by item, and
give some basics about tasks and workflows. Try the tutorials which are
also included with the program, or the additional tutorials in the
Fireworks Support Center for various workflow illustrations... these
address various tasks. Go to http://www.macromedia.com/support/fireworks/ ,
have a look around.... ;-)

Now, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "text warp". It could be
text-on-a-path, as Stephane graciously described. You can always change the
text, or its path, or its orientation or alignment or such. You've also got
pargraphs-on-curve in Fireworks (try putting in a RETURN there), and unlike
any other tool you also have live brushstrokes, fills, and effects applied
to this live-text on a live-curve. Everything's editable all the time in
Fireworks.

But you may actually mean warping text, as in the standard "envelope"
effects. Fireworks doesn't have a little framework to distort drawings, as
CorelDRAW!, FreeHand, and other tools do. Is this what you're trying to
do... to squeeze text into a bottle shape, or arch up the center of some
letters while the bottoms remain straight, something like that...?

jd