Re: Fireworks2 (was Trial Programs)

by jdowdell(at)macromedia.com (John Dowdell)

 Date:  Wed, 20 Oct 1999 16:46:10 -0700
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 3:00 AM 10/20/99, Reywob(at)aol.com wrote:
> For photo editing how does it compare to PSP6?

Sorry, I'm not in a position to compare the scan-correcting abilities of
the two. Photoshop's the king of that stuff, I know that much. (I tried
checking Jasc's site, but there's just a listing of features rather than
actual implementation info.)

> Well, can you use plugins and masks in Fireworks?

Sure, Photoshop-style filters work on bitmaps in Fireworks. It's got real
layers (you can drag objects among layers) and objects can mask each
other... no limitiation to a single "layer mask", just make masking groups.

> Could you do graphics like those at http://www.rapidnet.com/~pegleg/gary/
> with Fireworks, of would it only be useful in getting them web ready?

I see a few types of graphics on that page:

--  There's a photo, which was given a frame and a drop shadow

--  There are clipart floral pieces

--  There is engraved text

--  There is an embossed button

That page could be created in Fireworks as well as in most other tools,
once you had the photograph and the clipart.

> The other site with SUPERB artwork which I would love to be able to
> copy is http://www.runic.co.uk  Could I draw its side menu in Fireworks
> (once I've got the skill) or would I need PS?

The graphic on the right side of the page looks like it was made with a 3D
tool. It's possible to make such things in 2D tools but it takes care to
get the shading and overlays right. (In Fireworks you'd get the first
approximation by drawing the outline and then giving it a slight bevel and
a texture fill.)

The interactive part of that sidebar is straight up Fireworks' alley...
rollovers, distant rollovers, table-building, all easy.

jd