Re: Created in Illus, now how...

by jdowdell(at)macromedia.com (John Dowdell)

 Date:  Fri, 4 Jun 1999 13:47:53 -0700
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 4:42 PM 6/3/99, Chris Hawkins wrote:
> I have created EPS type in Illustrator, but when I either open or
> place into an open image in Photoshop, it auto-rasterizes.
> I thought there was a way to open a vector image in such a way
> to retain the smooth vector quality....is this incorrect?

In Photoshop you can open PostScript art as selection paths. The path will
remain editable, but as soon as you stroke or fill it it goes to frozen
pixels.

(This is related to how you choose the total number of pixels in the
document before working with it in Photoshop. It's a pixel-editing tool,
and so the number of pixels is critical to determine before starting work.)

If you're looking for rich-pixel renderings while retaining vector
editability, then that's in newer tools such as Fireworks... when you open
an Illustrator file here then you can scale or edit the curves, even scale
the whole composition without losing data to pixel-interpolation. Newer
technology, and preserves your editing choices until much later in the
production workflow.

jd