Re: HTML editors

by jdowdell(at)macromedia.com (John Dowdell)

 Date:  Mon, 28 Jun 1999 14:12:26 -0700
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 4:38 PM 6/27/99, Lonna Poland wrote:
> Do any of these have graphics optimizers integrated, or do I always
> have to use a full graphics program to find this feature?  For
> example... is Dreamweaver organized to be used in tandem with
> Fireworks or will they work independently from each other?

They can be used independently, and they also offer a level of integration
that is unmatched by other tools.

You can easily doubleclick an image in Dreamweaver to open its editing file
in Fireworks... when you save out from this special editing session the
file will be recompressed with the original settings and automatically
refreshed in Dreamweaver. (This is called "editing in place" and should
spread to other tools soon.)

But there's another way to use the two together. If you install Fireworks 2
then it adds an "Optimize in Fireworks" command to the Dreamweaver menu.
This lets you call up just the Fireworks compression engine, almost as a
component of the Dreamweaver interface. If you're optimizing a specific
site then this is a very fast way to apply the best-of-breed compresson
from within your authoring program.

(Sidenote: This is also handy if you tend to resize images in your HTML
layout tool... the Fireworks export engine is smart enough to grab the
current IMG HEIGHT/WIDTH from the layout and to discard the unneeded pixels
during compression.)

Is this the type of information you were looking for, or...?

jd