Re: import colors into FH

by jdowdell(at)macromedia.com (John Dowdell)

 Date:  Wed, 16 Sep 1998 16:43:27 -0700
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 1:03 PM 9/16/98, James Counihan wrote:
>I've been trying to import colors from the colormix site
><http://www.colormix.com> into Freehand 8, but seem to be missing something.
>The colors separate into blocks (a la oil and vinegar) when pasting or
>importing into FH, making use of the eyedropper impossible. I'd appreciate
>any insight on how to work this one..

I'm not positive I'm on-track with the desired goal... a stumbling block
here for me is that ColorMix simulates new colors by combining different
websafe colors, while FreeHand deals with the actual colors themselves.

Rephrased, ColorMix gives the *perception* of new colors, even though it's
using the standard 216 websafe colors. When I bring such a GIF into
FreeHand or another tool, then the Eyedropper will indeed be able to grab
each of the constituent colors of the swatch, and not the *perceived* color
produced by their mix.

If you wanted to you could blur the swatch once it's in FreeHand (by using
any standard pixel-blurring filter), and this would give an approximation
of the perceived color.

But did I pick up the correct sticking point here? Was it an issue that
ColorMix actually uses two or three different colors to simulate a color
that is never actually there...?

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Entertainment on the web: http://shockrave.macromedia.com/