RE: FW PNG compression (was: Kai, Goo, etc)

by jdowdell(at)macromedia.com (John Dowdell)

 Date:  Tue, 30 Nov 1999 14:13:22 -0700
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 9:52 AM 11/28/99, 2Nerotik wrote:
> Where do you put the settings you want for PNG compression in
> Fireworks ? I converted a 258 KB BMP into a PNG in FW2 but
> the PNG was twice as big around 400+ KB

Remember that Fireworks' native file format is PNG. If you simply "Save"
then you'll be storing all layers, frames, vector strokes, painterly paint
parameters, Live Effect settings, etc. If you save PNG from Fireworks, it
will definitely be larger, because it will be storing private editing data
as well as pixels.

But if you use the "Export Preview" dialog then you'll have a variety of
PNG colordepths, palette schemes, dither options, and transparency settings
exposed. This will give you smaller PNG files... it will just be a flat
image plane then, without editing structures.

(The tool itself will intelligently select the most appropriate interlacing
scheme... you won't have to choose among these settings as in Photoshop.)

If sending PNG to other tools, then files will be smaller if you export
them. In a pinch, though, most editing tools can open Fireworks' native
editing files already. Something like Photoshop wouldn't magically gain the
ability to change the text-on-curve, but it will be able to grab the pixels
in the Fireworks native file format.

For a third-party evaluation of Fireworks' PNG export, you may wish to see
the section on PNG-supporting applications at The PNG Home Page... these
are the folks who created the PNG format:
http://www.cdrom.com/pub/png/pngaped.html

jd