Re: Software Housecleaning

by jdowdell(at)macromedia.com (John Dowdell)

 Date:  Mon, 8 Feb 1999 13:33:55 -0700
 To:  "HWG Graphics" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 1:25 PM 2/8/99, Starr Wolf wrote:
> Is there a reliable and effective method of removing ALL traces of
> uninstalled and trial versions of software formerly used and yet to
> be used?

One surefire method is to reformat the hard drive. This can be faster than
buying a new computer.

Particularly with web software, designers want to be able to examine the
final output. This implies that non-saving demo versions won't be
acceptable, and so limited-time trials have become popular. An easy way to
defeat the timeout would make it difficult to recoup development costs.

I'd be surprised if a new version detected an old version on disk.
Macromedia uses Release Software for electronic and trial distribution, and
it definitely does discriminate among versions.

Best info would likely come from the "help" address on that invitation
email. I can confirm, though, that timeouts are indeed designed to time
out, without override.

jd

Offlist email risks capture by the spam filters! I may not see your