Re: Re: Merging layers re-explain

by jdowdell(at)macromedia.com (John Dowdell)

 Date:  Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:46:54 -0700
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>> I think what he is asking is why there isn't a way to do this:
>>
>> 1) create a layer, named "vase"
>> 2) create a layer, named "flower1"
>> 3) create a layer, named "flower2"
>> 4) continue creating flowers, and...
>
>Adobe ImageStyler uses an object/layer model.  Each object--which can be
>a EPS graphic, text, or a bitmap--can have up to five layers.  This
>makes for an amazing compositing tool.

I'm sorry, I got a little lost there, among the flowers... could you give
me a rephrasing of the core graphics problem you're trying to solve,
please...?

(From my initial readings of the threads, I wondered why the Photoshop
layers weren't just left unmerged, so that changing the vase to blue would
affect all combinations of flower layers. But I wasn't sure I followed the
description correctly, regrets... I may very well have misunderstood...?)

(And btw, if the core problem is something like "How can I change a red
vase to blue across twenty different images?" then this is easy with the
Graphic Search'n'Replace in Fireworks 2.0... you can even have it
automatically re-slice such images, or retain the same imagemap hotspots.
I'm not sure whether this is the core problem, though.)

jd

Fireworks 2.0 trial available! http://www.getfireworks.com/