Re: text clarity?

by jdowdell(at)macromedia.com (John Dowdell)

 Date:  Mon, 30 Nov 1998 16:17:15 -0700
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 3:21 PM 11/27/98, robemell wrote:
> ... He used Fireworks to do a button bar that was segmented, intorducing
> java and converted from vector to gif.  The transition was quite different
> than the original product in vector format :-)  You can expect this because
> the resolution is different and in the case of conversion to gif format,
> gradients are lost unless you convert to a gif format that displays them
> properly.  The bar which originally looked like silk, became speckeled and
> changed colour.

Hmm... I'm not quite sure what you saw or did. For what it's worth, if
you're exporting a 300 pixel-per-inch graphic at 72ppi, then there will
indeed be some resampling. The vector curves that are native to Fireworks,
however, re-render themselves automatically to whatever new resolution you
may set.

You are correct that GIF does not always render smooth gradients well.
That's because it doesn't have many colors. If you have gradients, and want
to go to GIF, then try adding some texture to that gradient fill... this
noise will break up the banding. In Fireworks you can easily texture any
fill.

(There are also some advanced tips for adding noise to editable,
resolution-independent vector objects... duplicate shapes are great when
the top one has a transparent texture applied. But those tricks only start
to emerge after time.)

I may have misunderstood what you were writing, though... if I'm offbase,
then please advise, thanks.

(For Karen's original post, could that particular text perhaps be a small
fontsize? If so, then these typically don't antialias crisply, because
they're not thick enough to support much edge-blurring. I'm just making a
guess about the situation there, though, and I could be guessing wrong.)

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Dreamweaver owners' 2.0 sneakpeek: http://www.dreamweaver.com/