Re: recolouring feathered shapes in Photoshop

by jdowdell(at)macromedia.com (John Dowdell)

 Date:  Mon, 30 Nov 1998 16:21:59 -0700
 To:  "'hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org'" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 6:46 AM 11/26/98, Joanne Butt wrote:
>I'm designing some buttons for a site at the moment which have curves. They
>look fine as they are anti-alaised but for one button I have to change the
>colour. I have tried several ways, (replace colour, selecting the button
>with the wand and feathering the selection,) but every time I fill the
>selected shape of course, it fills it with solid colour and so it appears
>jagged.
>I can redraw it from scratch but this is a problem I have come up against a
>few times and I wondered if any of you might have some alternative ideas?

That's true; it's a tough situation. The best solution here might be to
save your selections, whether they're paths or channel selections. This
lets you maintain all the little indeterminate colors along the edges of an
object.

One of the big tasks in a traditional pixel-editing program is remembering
selections, and creating new selections. This is one reason the newer
vector tools are getting so popular... you can just select an object and
change it, rather than remember which pixels in a layer are selected how
much.

If you don't have the selection saved already, then have you tried looking
at each of the RGB channels? Many times one channel has enough contrast so
that it can be duplicated as a new selection channel, and then have its
Levels set to become a good selection mask. Might this approach help there
at all...?

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Dreamweaver owners' 2.0 sneakpeek: http://www.dreamweaver.com/