Re: converting Illustrator files

by jdowdell(at)macromedia.com (John Dowdell)

 Date:  Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:45:53 -0700
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 3:13 PM 3/12/99, Chainsaw Artie wrote:
>Hi! I am urgently trying to find a way to open and convert an Adobe
>Illustrator (v. 6) file into a .jpg or a .gif. I can't even open it. I
>have Photos Shop 4, Paint Shop Pro 5, Adobe Pagemaker and that is
>about it. Is there any sort of utility one can download for this
>purpose? OR am I doing something wrong?

I think Photoshop 4 may have come out before Illustrator 6, and so there
may be a bit of a version mismatch. If you have Illustrator or FreeHand
then you can open the .AI and save it out as an earlier format, that might
be one way to get it into Photoshop 4.0.

Assuming it's a normal file, then you could also give a try to opening it
in Fireworks 2.0. All the curves remain editable, and you can change its
pixel-based strokes or fills for painterly effects. It produces the
tightest GIFs in the biz, and can make JPEGs, buttons, animations, and
image tables too.

If this is one particular file, though, then it may be damaged, or it may
be complex enough to require a lot of RAM to open in other apps. Hard to
say. The above are some of the ways that you might try opening that piece,
though.

jd

Fireworks 2.0 trial available! http://www.getfireworks.com/