Re: OPTIMIZATION TOOLS

by jdowdell(at)macromedia.com (John Dowdell)

 Date:  Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:05:13 -0700
 To:  "Hwg-Graphics" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:23 AM 6/11/99, Liliane Miller wrote:
> How about dreamweaver or flash...do either of those do the optimization
> thing well?

No, neither Dreamweaver nor Flash will compress graphics like Fireworks
can. (Dreamweaver creates HTML pages, and Flash creates interactive web
animations.)

GIF is easy to benchmark, and the standard ongoing results are here:
http://www.webreference.com/dev/gifanim/results.html

JPEG is a lossy format so it's harder to directly benchmark. Some tools
specialize in just JPEG, but others handle JPEG, GIF, GIFanims, or
rollovers equally well.

Although there are many compression utilities these days, nothing has the
range of web functionality that Fireworks does... completely different
types toolsets. (Text-on-a-curve, with auto-restroking, with rich brushes?
Piece o'cake.) Please don't take my word for it... go through a variety of
reviews and compare hands-on yourself. Startlingly more useful.

(Note: Fireworks is not suitable for poster-size files... it specializes in
the creation of graphics for on-screen displays. If you're trying to
correct photos for print, then Photoshop is the standard tool for that type
of job.)

jd