Re: Director & Flash

by jdowdell(at)macromedia.com (John Dowdell)

 Date:  Mon, 22 Nov 1999 16:25:46 -0700
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 1:25 PM 11/19/99, Helen Triolo wrote:
> I have a client with a large movie created in Director who wants
> to get this movie onto the web.

You wouldn't necessarily need to buy anything to do this. The Shockwave
Player can play regular uncompressed .DIR files too.

> It needs lots of editing....

This is where things get hard to predict online. It's usually fastest to
create a web piece if you design with the final delivery in mind. For
instance, if the original designer manipulated files on the hard drive then
they'd have difficulty doing that in the browser.

Should you do it in Director, or in Flash? Others online can't usefully
say. Odds are strong that you may be recreating this piece for effective
browser-based viewing anyway, so a lot would depend on the content, what
you'd like to achieve, and what your current skillset is.

At 9:45 AM 11/21/98, St=E9phane Bergeron added some great comments:
>Without seeing the movie and what type of media files in includes, it's
>hard for me to advise you on a course of action but your decision may hinge
>on a matter of budget and the time you have to complete the
>project.  Director is indeed very pricey but it handles imported multimedia
>files (QuickTime, sound, etc) much better than Flash and is better at
>synchronizing them.  On the other hand, you may be able to reproduce the
>movie quite well in Flash depending on the look you're after.  Some say
>that Flash is like the lite version of Director but to me they are very
>different product that work differently and are not suited to the same
>types of projects.

jd