Re: EMBED and OBJECT tags

by jdowdell(at)macromedia.com (John Dowdell)

 Date:  Mon, 8 Feb 1999 15:25:55 -0700
 To:  "HTML Writer's Guild Graphics" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 4:02 PM 2/8/99, Carol Geary wrote:
> That is, for a QTVR with an OBJECT tag that contains an EMBED
> alternative, only MSIE 3 uses the EMBED. My example shows this...
> http://caroling.holyoak.com/Access/test/objectEmbed.html

Hmm, I'm not sure what I should be looking for here. The QuickTime file on
that page does use a nested OBJECT/EMBED pair.

When I visit in NS4.5/Win32 and do a "View Info", it tells me that the
video is shown as embedded content. I double-checked in IE401/Win32 too.
(I'd have to juggle RAM to check in my Mac browsers at the moment.)

>From viewing the page, I'm not sure what leads you to suspect that the
EMBED may be superfluous in some browsers...?

(Sidenote: The ActiveX Control's OBJECT tag includes a codebase parameter
for auto-installation, but I don't believe it will do anything with the
PLUGINSPAGE parameter, which is usually used with plugins instead.)

fwiw, Apple's documentation on QuickTime use for webmasters can be found at
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/authors/webmas.html

jd

Offlist email risks capture by the spam filters! I may not see your