Re: Blow Away Graphic

by jdowdell(at)macromedia.com (John Dowdell)

 Date:  Fri, 14 May 1999 17:16:57 -0700
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 2:30 PM 5/14/99, HubJunky1(at)aol.com wrote:
>I can do the flash animation, but I am looking for a method to produce each
>frame.  What I need to know how to do is actually the way to alter the image
>to look as though it is being blown away (Using several frames of course).
>I'm using Photoshop 5, and have Xenofex and Eyecandy (In case there are any
>methods with that)

If you're using Photoshop, then it's producing pixel-based images. It
doesn't really work with sprites at all. (It's good for doing processing of
flat collections of pixels, but there's a lot of graphics work it cannot
understand.)

You might first do the base case in Flash... put some things together, and
animate them apart. Once you're comfortable with that then you can move to
pixel-based art. Easiest might be to "break apart", select sections and
group them... this will let you place them next to each other and still
move the pieces as individual sprites.

Relying on pixel-based tools for delivery still limits you to one fixed
size, though, and then you'll have the recompression and overall larger
filesize to worry about too... Flash can certainly modify graphics from
Photoshop, but that's not the strongest use of the technology.

jd