Re: making smaller files

by "Daren C. Robbins" <dcr(at)nextw3.com>

 Date:  Wed, 9 Sep 1998 11:59:41 -0700
 To:  lonna(at)itexas.net (Lonna Poland)
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>I have a favorite stationery background that I scanned and made into a jpg.
>The first version was monstrous, as it was a full 8.5 x 11.  Then I resized
>the graphic a little smaller, but the file was still over 300k.  I want to
>use this as a web background, but I can't size it too small, or the left

First of all, go to www.macromedia.com and download the trial of Fireworks,
or go to www.adobe.com and download the trial of ImageReady. Both of these
are wonderful at reducing file sizes and many other useful things. JPEG
compression is lossy however, and you may loose some image quality. If the
image is mostly solid colors you may wish to try GIF compression. If its
worth the time, it may be in your favor to recreate the image from the
stationary yourself in freehand or something similar, to give you more
control over the output colors (i.e.,. Using those in the web-safe palette,
see http://nextw3.com/cgi-bin/colors).

>actually resizing the graphic any smaller.  This is the kind of background
>that I can't allow to tile.

You can make the image smaller and still force it to not tile.
In MSIE (I believe 3+, but I havn't checked) you can specify
'bgproperties="fixed"' as an attribute to your BODY tag, or if your
audience will be using newer browsers, you can specify
'style="background-repeat: no-repeat;"' also as an attribute to your BODY
tag. For more background possibilities with CSS visit
http://style.webreview.com/mastergrid.html which lists various elements of
CSS1 and the browsers which support them.

--
Daren C. Robbins | NEXT W3 Internet Services / Web Development
  dcr(at)nextw3.com | 916.457.2242 / http://www.nextw3.com