Interfaces...

by Raymond Pirouz <rpirouz(at)r35.com>

 Date:  Mon, 8 Dec 1997 16:27:46 -0800
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
 Cc:  fichera(at)mirostudio.com
  todo: View Thread, Original
Marco wrote:

>I'd like talk about "interfaces".
>Is important for you make a different "style"
>for the interface and the
>content ???

Of course, any design-related talk is purely subjective and based on
personal style, taste and ideology. However, interface design is a subject
matter all its own and is an interesting area of discussion for me.

I see the "interface" not only as the element through which the user
interacts with the content, but also as an integral component of the
content as a whole.

I believe that a page should have a "look" or "style" if you will, but that
the interface should look and feel as though it is an integral part of the
overall page's aesthetic layout.

For me, the best interfaces are those which are not "interfaces" - meaning,
those interfaces that appear out of the content and are at one with the
information being presented. This kind of interface is the hardest to
create, and involves the most work for it to be effective and be done right
(http://entertainment.digital.com/StatesOfArt). The next level down from
this is an interface that works along-side the content, but is designed in
a way to be pleasing to the eye
(http://www.rpirouz.com/click/contents.htm). The next level down from this
is a simple list of links acting as an interface, prevalent in many of
today's "coolest" web site designs (the left-column link-o-rama navigation
deal-a-ma-bob).

The above URLs are presented as examples, and while they do not reflect the
finest web sites in the universe, they are meant to illustrate my point -
so that you don't think I'm talking out of my @$$.

Raymond Pirouz
R35 LLC
http://www.r35.com