Re: SOS... tables are making me crazy!

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Fri, 4 Jun 1999 19:41:04 -0400
 To:  "Lonna Poland" <lonna(at)granbury.com>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Lonna--

Your page is more problematic in IE 4.5 (Mac) than it is in Netscape 4.5
(Mac), which apparently is the opposite of your Windows experience.

I suspect that part of the problem here is where you placed the IMG tag for
the ivyvine.gif. It was placed after an opening table tag, but before the
first cell: i.e., not following a TD tag. Possibly, different browsers are
handling this differently, and that's affecting the rest of the layout.

A few other observations:

You don't seem to be using any TR tags. Maybe that causes problems in some
situations?

The top portion of the page--apparently to the left of Mary's picture--has
the eight buttons, beginning with Home Page. It looks like these images are
in a cell that has a specified width of 20%. (TD WIDTH=20%).

	For the next picture--of Jeanne--you create another table, also
with a total width of 650, but you attempt to create two empty cells as
spacers, one with a width of 10% and the other with a width of 20%. Maybe
that's what you did to try to get things aligned. Obviously, that's an
inelegant approach, and I would be concerned that it too would be
problematic under some conditions (e.g., certain browsers).
	I'm not sure how reliable the width attribute is when the cell is
empty. (Maybe someone else can comment). I think I've seen situations where
the space is better maintained when a clear.gif is used as the spaceholder
within the cell.
	IMO, it would be better to not have a bunch of separate tables, if
possible. Instead, have one larger table, use the TR tags, and also COLSPAN
when needed.

In figuring out table-related problems, it's often helpful to make the
table structure visible (temporarily set BORDER=1).

As a minor point--not related to the problem here--you probably don't want
the text to impinge on the graphic. You probably could accomplish that with
the CELLPADDING attribute for the TABLE, or with the HSPACE attribute for
the IMAGE.

--Jeff