Re: web design -- one Photoshop file with everything ???

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:08:28 -0400
 To:  "L. J. Durham" <taliesinmedia(at)yahoo.co.uk>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
In the early days of the WWW (not so long ago in people-years), most pages
were created using a text editor. This approach had the advantage of
simplicity but lacked the flexibility found in DTP programs (PageMaker,
Quark, etc.).

One approach that may be helpful in laying out and composing a page would
be to use a graphics program. Photoshop can be used for that purpose.
Illustrator also can. Of course, in the end, you're going to need to
convert everything into something that can be read by a web browser.

I suppose that the improvements in page design programs that offer a
WYSIWYG view may supplant the use of general-purpose graphics programs for
page layout, although each approach has its advantages.

At the present time, though, there is really no one program that does it
all and also does it best. Even photoshop benefits from certain plug-ins;
and some things, like text, are probably better done in Illustrator. BTW,
ImageStyler can be used to create a page and can export an HTML file, but
even here there are many things better done with other applications.

Reagarding the notion, "do everything in Photoshop because its much more
creative," -- the creativity is in the person, not the application.

With many of the current-generation web design programs, some may argue
that you don't really need to know HTML. You really should, though, because
all these programs have their weak spots, and there are times when writing
the HTML directly makes more sense. Or when you need to figure out why
something isn't working. Maybe more important is the understanding and
appreciation of the various limitations, constraints, and trade-offs in
designing a web page.

--Jeff