Re: Quality

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:38:20 -0500
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  rbrooks <crazybreadstick(at)yahoo.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Recently I have been creating some new graphics for my web page.  I've
>noticed that the detail looks perfect in 16bit or higher color, but in
>256 colors, it looks like a furry mess.  Is there something that you
>guys do to fix this besides intentionally lack detail?  I tried saving
>the image as a GIF, and JPG, they both produce the same results...
>
>thanks in advance
>
>RBrooks

The "furry mess" probably is dithering: what the browser does to simulate
colors not built-in, when viewed in 8-bit mode. To avoid this, you need to
create graphics which use only the 216 colors common to the browser
palettes--what Lynda Weinman has called, "browser-safe" colors. See her
site:

	http://www.lynda.com/hex.html

Jeff