Re: Video

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Sun, 31 Jan 1999 19:48:36 -0500
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
 Cc:  lawler(at)sofnet.com
  todo: View Thread, Original
Begin by clearly defining your short-term needs: e.g.,

Is QuickTime, 15 fps, quarter-screen sufficient; or do you *need*
full-screen, 30 fps, broadcast quality?

Do you *need* a 3-chip camera, or will a 1-chip suffice?

Do you *need* to do a lot of transitions, special effects, or A/B rolls; or
will it mostly be straight cuts?

Are you planning on 1-minute clips, or editing a 60-minute video?

Do you have a *need* to do non-linear editing, or will it be sufficient to
do traditional editing and then digitize the final version?

What is your budget range: $3K; $10K; $30K?

What equipment--computer and video--do you currently have?

What sound quality do you *need*?

There are a lot of factors to consider. If you detail your needs/short-term
aspirations, and then post it in a video forum or newsgroup, you should get
some helpful replies.

Beware the marketing hype.

--Jeff