RE: Obscure Font needed

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Fri, 25 Jun 1999 14:32:49 -0400
 To:  "David L. Semans" <dsemans(at)linkny.com>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
On the other hand, there is something to be said for controlling the
appearance of a page, and for getting out of the
Times/Helvetica/Arial box.

A text passage, using a distinctive font, can be saved as a gif, in
which case the fonts installed in the viewer's system is irrelevant.
There will be a (hopefully small) price in download time, which has
to be factored into the equation. There may be other concerns: e.g.,
text as a gif also will not be read by AltaVista.

The font also, of course, has to be one that looks good on screen,
and in the point size used. Some fonts look good in print, but don't
translate that well to the screen.

Even if a distinctive font is not used for the body text, it may be
used for headings, buttons, navigation bars, etc..

--Jeff