Re: Graphics Tablets

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Mon, 28 Jun 1999 13:19:02 -0400
 To:  "Windsong" <chester(at)worldchat.com>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I've used a Wacom tablet for several years. It's obviously good for
graphics, but I also use it for other tasks, instead of a mouse.

Regarding ergonomics: it's like using a pencil. I find it preferable
to a mouse. You need to have desk space at a comfortable height. My
tablet is nominally 6x9 inches writing surface, with exterior
dimensions 9-1/2" x 12", and it sits next to my keyboard. Some people
who use larger tablets for drawing freehand place them in their laps.

Setup is easy. It connects to the ADB port on my Mac, and is
configured via a control panel in my system folder. I've never had
any difficulties with it.

I have the tablet connected via a Y-connector, which can be obained
from APS or another vendor. This way, I have the keyboard, mouse, and
tablet conveniently connected. (I could do it without the Y-connector
if I wanted to use the ADB out port of my keyboard for either the
mouse or the tablet; or use a second ADB port on my computer.) About
the only time I use the mouse is when I start up with extensions off
(since the Wacom runs via a system extension). However, a lot of
people routinely use the mouse and the Wacom, depending on the task.

I think one of the new models features an LCD screen, which is a
different type of tablet, and a lot more expensive.

--Jeff