Re: Digitizing video: VHS vs. Beta

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Wed, 30 Jun 1999 19:01:02 -0400
 To:  "David T. Schaller" <hws(at)visi.com>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Dave--

You raise two issues: (1) Does higher quality source material improve
the final product: e.g., a QT movie; and (2) What about VHS vs beta?

I haven't personally done any comparisons with different source
materials that are digitized. In the analog world, it certainly makes
a big difference when you begin with a high quality source. You
mention a 180x240 picture size. The other factor that will have a big
effect on the quality of the clip is the frame rate. Broadcast
quality is 30 frames per second. QT often is reduced to half that.

Another consideration is how much editing you do, and whether you
edit in the analog format or after it's been digitized.

VHS is probably the lowest quality among the commonly used formats.
Beta is not the alternative to consider--if by beta you meant the
format that lost out in the vcr wars. Its not that much better than
VHS, and I think it's been in a state of near extinction for a long
time. (There actually are several beta formats, and I'm not sure
which one you meant. Sony's prosumer beta format delivers about 580
lines, I think, in comparison to the 240 lines of VHS. Then there's
the professional beta format.)

If you're serious about digital video, take a look at the prosumer
digital camcorders which record video in a digital format. Sony came
out with a ditital camcorder (the VX-1000, if I recall the model
number) a few years ago, for about $4K; and a smaller version (1 CCD
rather than 3) for half that price. Since then, several other models
have been released by several companies. These camcorders can hook up
to a computer via a firewire port (aka 1318), which is now becoming
available on the new Macs. This format should provide high quality,
and there's no generation loss, since it's already digital. However,
you do need a fast computer, fast drives, and lots and lots of
storage capacity.

If you're not ready to take the plunge into an all-digital world, I'd
look at the hi8 format. The other alternative would be S-VHS. Both
are about 400 lines, and both use "S" connectors for the video.

--Jeff