Re: auto resizing

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Sun, 29 Aug 1999 03:32:38 -0400
 To:  rserrao(at)ucdavis.edu
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Rosanne--

You want a 1-pass scanner meaning that all colors are scanned in a
single pass, which should be quicker than a scanner that requires
three passes.

The scanner software should have a Photoshop plug-in so you can scan
the image directly into Photoshop.

I think you can create a Photoshop action to resize images in a batch
process, but that will be helpful only if the final images are to be
the same size.

Another factor will be whether the source images are homogeneous with
regard to lighting characteristics, color saturation, etc., and how
much optimization you want to do for the final images. To get the
scanned images looking their best, you may need to make some
adjustments in Photoshop. If they all require the same adjustments,
then you may also be able to batch process via an action. But if the
source images are heterogeneous, you may find that each one requires
individual tweaking.

You may find it worthwhile to upgrade to Photoshop 5.5, which has
improved built-in Web optimization capability; and it includes
ImageReady 2.0 which also could be used.

Another route to consider would be scanning the source transparencies
or negatives--if you have access to them, rather than the photo
prints. That would require a different type of scanner, but should
yield better results.

I presume you're planning to post the photos to a web page where it
will be accessed by both Mac and PC users. Be sure to review the
situation regarding the differences between PC and Mac monitor gamma.
In short, Mac monitors are significantly brighter than PC monitors,
and a Levels adjustment needs to be made in the photos so they don't
look too dark when viewed with a PC monitor. Some of this
compensation can be done with the Adobe Gamma control panel and with
the Photoshop Color Settings.

--Jeff