Re: Photographers

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Wed, 1 Sep 1999 13:43:00 -0400
 To:  <aaron(at)grossweb.com>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Aaron--

I think your idea of actually showing the residents and the
facilities is the way to go. In addition to what is posted initially,
you can add photos over times, such as: holidays and special
occasions; new facilities; staff members; etc..

It may help to think of the process of getting the photos in two
steps: (1) getting the images (2) processing the images for the Web
site.

To get the image, you have several options:
	a) Digital camera
	b) Scan photos
	c) Scan film, either negatives or transparencies

Probably the best images can be obtained by using a good camera with
transparency (slide) film, and then scanning the transparencies. Film
has relatively high resolution, and going to the source is better
than scanning a photograpgh, especially if the photograph was not
processed by a custom lab. If the facility has people who can take
the pictures, then you can find a lab that will do the scanning for
you (if you'd prefer not to invest in the equipment and do the
scanning yourself).

However, for the Web, you don't need high resolution; and in fact
can't use high resolution, since monitors generally show images at 72
pixels per inch. A digital camera is adequate for this purpose. If
you want advice on the various models and features, let me know. By
capturing the images in a digital format, you bypass the scanning.

The second aspect is processing the photos. You could have an
excellent image, but if it's not processed properly, it could be a
disaster on line. Most likely the images would be processed in
Photoshop. The latest version, v5.5, even has several built-in tools
for processing images for the Web. If you're not currently using
Photoshop, note that it has a significant learning curve, and you
probably want to have someone process the images for you at this time.

If you'd like to see some digital snapshots taken with a modest
digital camera and then processed in Photoshop, take a look at my web
page,

	http://www.oceansong.com

in the sections New England Travels and also Hither and Yon.

In L.A., you should be able to find lots of people who can take
photos, or process the images, or do the whole thing.

Contact me if you have any more specific questions.

--Jeff