Re: Download tag

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Mon, 6 Sep 1999 03:25:37 -0400
 To:  Kym Jones <kymj(at)airmail.net>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Kym--

I think this is your problem:

You named the download page "fuschia.zip" and placed that page in the
images directory. Consequently, when you access the link

	http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/images/fuschia.zip

you get the page called fuschia.zip and you do not get a file download.

What you want to do is:

(1) Create your zip file: e.g., fuschia.zip.

(2) Organizationally, you're probably better off creating a separate
directory for downloads, rather than placing the zip files in the
images directory. So, create another directory: e.g, downloads.

(3) Now, the html page which will contain the link to this file
should have its own unique name: e.g., getfiles.html.

(4) The link will be similar to what you tried, but of course you'll
have the correct path: e.g.

	<A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/downloads/fuschia.zip

You can leave out the http:// and use a relative path name, if you
want, so long as the download link path is correct relative to the
html file's location. Or use the absolute path if that's what you
usually do.

(5) Upload the html file to the appropriate directory. Create/upload
the downloads directory and upload the fuchia.zip to that directory,
etc..

It should work.

Another option is to use an ftp server. You may want to tackle that
some other time.

--Jeff