Re: Smooth edged fonts

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Sat, 11 Sep 1999 10:02:29 -0400
 To:  Peta Adams - John Murray <jmnc(at)lis.net.au>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
John--

You may get more specific advice if you include additional info, such
as the applications you use to create buttons and banners.

I presume you're using PostScript Type 1 or TrueType fonts.

The problem you describe may be anti-aliasing. In general, you want
to use anti-aliasing to smooth the boundary between the letter and
the background (button). Many graphics programs include an
anti-aliasing feature. In the case of Photoshop 5.5, there are 3
types of anti-aliasing available.

However, for small-point fonts -- e.g., 10 or 12 points and below,
depending on the font -- you may do better to not use ant-aliasing.

Another factor is the font itself. Some fonts look better on screen
than others. Try Verdana. It's included with Internet Explorer, I
think. Else you can download if (no charge) from the Microsoft site,
along with several other web fonts.

--Jeff