Re: Learning Photo Shop 5

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Sat, 11 Sep 1999 15:01:33 -0400
 To:  John Nunley <nunley(at)goodnet.com>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
John--

I have several of the mega-sized books on PS, as well as several
smaller ones. Probably the best, all around book is Photoshop 5
Bible, by Deke McClelland (IDG Books). Note that there's a Mac
version and a Windows version.

On certain, specific topics, some of the other books have sections
that may be more helpful than Deke's book, but for all around
coverage, it's hard to beat. Another good book is Inside Adobe
Photoshop 5 Limited Edition, by Gary and Barbara Bouton (New Riders
Publishing), which is only 1054 pages. I've only read a few sections
of that book, and don't yet have an opinion on how it would be for a
PS novice.

Take a look at
	http://www.jetcity.com/~davidh/psbooks/photobooks.html

This should give you a good view of some of the choices available.

IMO, it's worth having several books to learn this program and for
reference. Sometimes a particular topic is only briefly mentioned in
one book but is extensively covered in another. Also note that some
books are organized around specific projects -- how to do something.
These may be good for picking up very useful tips after you've
learned the basics.

--Jeff

--Jeff