Re: PS 5.5 books?

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Sun, 19 Sep 1999 18:18:22 -0400
 To:  Karen Pickel <pegleg(at)rapidnet.com>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Karen--

I haven't seen any books on 5.5. There are lots of books on PS 5 (as
in 5.0). Usually, books are geared toward the major releases--e.g.,
v4, v5, v6 --  although the differences between the major releases
and mid-version releases, and between upgrades and updates, is
sometimes mostly marketing.

I suppose that there may be some 5.5 books coming out, especially if
there's a significant time until v6. (Probably someone will reply
that there already are 5.5 books out.)

If you're previous version of PS was 4.x or lower, then I think that
the 5.0 books will be OK, supplemented by Adobe's manual on the new
features in 5.5.

The coverage of ImageReady 2.0, which is now packaged with Photoshop,
may not have as much detail as some would like.

Also consider this: I would rather have an excellent book covering
5.0, and use Adobe's manual for the new features, then have a so-so
book that claims to cover 5.5.

What was your last version of PS? Are you looking for general books
on PS, specialized books, beginner or intermediate or advanced?

For an overview of many of the PS books, see
	http://www.jetcity.com/~davidh/psbooks/photobooks.html

--Jeff