Re: advice on web graphics books

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Wed, 6 Oct 1999 17:47:30 -0400
 To:  Juliana Bastos <jbastos(at)usp.br>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Juliana--

"What to look for exactly" depends on what you need or want to learn.
Yes, there are lots of books. Some deal with design in general -- not
specifically the Web, or even computer design-- such as "Principles
of Form and Design," by Wucius Wong.

Others are broad coverage Web-oriented books, like "<designing web
graphics.3> How to Prepare Images and Media for the Web," by Lynda
Weinman.

There are more focused books, like "Web Designers Guide to Graphics
-- PNG, GIF, & HPEG," by Timothy Webster.

There are books that show web sites, such as "Web Design Studio
Secrets," by Deke McClelland and Katrin Eismann.

And there are a bunch of books dealing with a particular application
that can be used for Web graphics, such as "Photoshop for the Web,"
by Aaland and Koman.

These books are all arguably good, useful books -- IF the topics they
cover are what you want to learn.

You may want to post a message that's more specific. Are you looking
for books on certain design principles and techniques; or how to use
certain applications? Perhaps there's a lot of topics you want to
cover, but maybe a few that take priority.

If you can get to a large bookstore, it could be helpful to spend
time browsing through the books.

--Jeff