Re: How do I convert .jpg text to .doc text?

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Sat, 9 Oct 1999 14:14:02 -0400
 To:  "Tim Newcome" <tnuke(at)mindspring.com>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
It sounds like what you want to do is use OCR software (such as Caere
OmniPage) to recognize and translate graphic text (jpeg) to ascii
text (doc).

But if the source material is HTML text, you'd be better off saving
the source document (as an html file, not jpeg) and then extracting
the text portion (i.e., eliminating the HTML tags). That could be
done manually or with a program that cleans text. On the Mac, you can
use TextSpresso to do that. I don't know what options you have with
Windows.

In other words, instead of doing a screen capture--which creates a
jpeg--go to View/Source, and save the html file as a text document.
You can even configure your browser to use a text editor (or word
processor) to view the source document, rather than using the browser
(which is the default source viewer).

--Jeff