Re: When designers and html meet

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Thu, 28 Oct 1999 03:53:15 -0400
 To:  "Caramel Antoon" <caramel28(at)earthlink.net>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Regarding color--

The matter of the Web-safe palette isn't an absolute, of course,
since we often use other colors while realizing it may be problematic
for viewers with 8-bit video cards.

The other issue, though, is RGB vs. CMYK. Maybe you could present the
RGB color space as the good news, and the web palette limitations as
the bad news.

Other font issues: (1) HTML text doesn't do well as italics
(jaggies), and it's particularly hard to get the spacing right
between an italicized word and a roman typeface word; (2) there is
the option of displaying text as a graphic rather than HTML text.

Unlike print, we don't know the viewer's page size, so additional
considerations go into the pixel size of a page, especially the
width, since we usually want to avoid horizontal scrolling.

--Jeff