Re: Printing Digital Pix

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Sun, 5 Sep 1999 23:34:04 -0400
 To:  "Tasha 212" <tasha212(at)hotmail.com>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Tasha--

In general, you can get by with lower resolution pictures on the Web
than you can with printed images. In other words, it may look fine on
the Web, but not so great when printed.

I'm not familiar with the details of that model Mavica. If it gives
you some choices, go with the highest resolution and the lowest JPEG
compression you can. (If your camera is one that saves the image on a
diskette, it must use a lot of compression.)

Low res pictures may look OK when printed at a small size: e.g., you
may be able to output satisfactorily 3x5 or 4x6 prints, but not
larger.

Digital pictures with consumer-level cameras usually lack crisp
focus, and you often can improve the image by judiciously applying
the Unsharp filter. If you're not familiar with this filter and have
questions, e-mail me.

Although the recent model inkjet printers are impressive, you may get
the best results with one of the small-format dye sublimation
printers. If you're thinking of making a purchase, go some place
where you can try one out and compare the results with an H-P or
Epson inkjet. In figuring and comparing costs, be sure to include the
paper and other printing supplies. In the long run, the cost of the
printer may be the smaller factor here.

You may be interested in reading the letters to MacInTouch about
Print Permanence (actually, lack of permanence):

	http://www.macintouch.com/printpermanence.html

--Jeff