Re: advice on web graphics books

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Wed, 6 Oct 1999 22:32:38 -0400
 To:  Juliana Bastos <jbastos(at)usp.br>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>Thanks for answering. Actually I'm looking for some ideas for design and
>layout. I'm not originally a designer, and it's quite easy for me to run
>out of new ideas...

I think there are lots of places to get ideas, if you look for them.
One of the (many) books -- since you began by asking about books --
is "The Graphic Design of David Carson." But, it may not appeal to
you. His work is kind of not following the rules, as in Wired. What's
interesting, though, IMO, is when you analyze each work, you can get
a lot of ideas --even if your aim isn't to replicate that style.

A very different book is, "How to understand and use Design and
Layout," by Alan Swann. It's actually geared toward print:
newsletters, brochures, packaging, etc.. But a lot of the principles
carry over to the Web.

Another approach is to just look at web sites. Also, look at other
media. I find  myself looking at signs, posters, etc., and thinking
of ways that some element I see could be adapted to the Web.

And you can get lots of ideas from magazines: e.g., pick up a copy of
"Fast Company. Someone could easily spend many hours analyzing the
graphics, page layout, use of type, etc., in a single issue. (The
issues are 400+ pages.)

Another source is TV. Videotape some of the commercials and also the
graphics used by the networks, then review the design in freeze frame
mode.

>That's the problem, I'm looking for something more general. Specific
>topics are easier to look for, but when it comes to broader subjects,
>the authors' approach differ so much that I'm at a loss to decide what
>to get.
>
> > If you can get to a large bookstore, it could be helpful to spend
> > time browsing through the books.
>
>It would be a good idea, yes, but unfortunately I can't find a good
>variety of titles here in Brazil. So that leaves me almost only with
>those customer comments at Amazon.com...

That's what I suspected. I look at the comment on amazon.com, too,
but I also say to myself that I should be cautious in interpreting
those comments. Amazon.com does not attempt to conduct any scientific
survey, and so the comments represent only the people who write them
(who could be the author's friends and relatives). Sometimes you find
one person rating a book 4 stars, and someone else rating it 1/2
star. I've also seen comments where the customer rated a book 4
stars, and then admitted that he just got the book and has only read
the first chapter. But occasionally you get someone who takes the
time and makes the effort to write a detailed commentary, and
explains why s/he felt that way.

Good luck.

--Jeff