Re: THUMBNAILS

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Sat, 9 Oct 1999 17:55:02 -0400
 To:  "Windsong" <chester(at)worldchat.com>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
One reason to use thumbnails is when you have numerous images that
would take a long time to load into the browser, or images of a
physical size (pixel dimensions) that wouldn't fit into your layout.
The thumbnail is an image reduced in physical size (pixel dimensions)
and/or dounload size (kb) so it fits on the page and downloads
quickly. It can be linked to a larger version of the same image,
usually on a different page. That way, only those who are interested
in seeing the larger image will need to spend the time required for
it to load in: the thumbnail serves as a preview. If you're not sure
what I mean here, take a look at http://www.oceansong.com/fish. Each
image in the "gallery" links to a larger version.

If the images you have in mind are not large to begin with, then
maybe you don't need thumbnails.

Or, maybe you want to offer a collection of images that could be
downloaded as a package (e.g., a .zip or .sit archive), possibly via
ftp; rather than have the site visitor download them individually.

--Jeff