Re: drawing tools

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:35:56 -0400
 To:  "Pinder,
Susan" <spinder(at)stlawrencecement.com>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I've been using a Wacom tablet for several years.

Tablets are available in several sizes, from 4" x 5" to 12" x 18".
I'm using a 6" x 8" tablet, and I wouldn't recommend anything smaller
if it's intended use is drawing. The larger tablets are often used by
artists who hold the tablet in their laps rather than on the desk.

The tablet can be daisy-chained with the mouse, so that you have both
connected. I find that I rarely use the mouse, since the tablet's pen
is easier and more ergonomic for me.

The tablet and pen runs on its own software which allows various
configurations. With the software, the tablet can be mapped to the
screen, so that moving the pen all the way across the tablet moves
the cursor all the way across the screen.

This system allows precise control of the cursor (i.e., whatever tool
you're using in a graphics program), and is pressure-sensitive: e.g.,
using Photoshop's air brush, pressing the pen down harder increases
the paint spray.

The newest versions are available with USB connections, and that
should be considered if you're thinking of getting a computer with
USB ports. (BTW, there are some PCI cards that can be placed in a
computer to give it USB ports.)

The tablets are not cheap, but they're worth it.

I'd suggest visiting wacom's (http://www.wacom.com) site to get an
idea of what's available. Then find a computer store where you can
have a hands-on trial.

--Jeff