Re: Client vs. Artist Copyright Question

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Sun, 24 Oct 1999 14:40:53 -0400
 To:  Nel <earthwind(at)earthwind.net>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I think you should retain the copyrights. You can grant the client
the use of those graphics on that site, etc.. If the client really
wanted to own the graphics, there probably would be a contract with
the clause "work for hire."

Even though you're creating "original" graphics, it's likely that at
another site you may create some graphics that are variants of what
you've previously done. If another entity actually owned those
earlier graphics, and wanted to press the point, I think you could be
infringing on copyright.

--Jeff