Re: pixel.gif file on site: http://info.med.yale.edu/caim/manual/

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Fri, 10 Sep 1999 23:37:08 -0400
 To:  "Jason Alan Smith" <bsmith1(at)kscable.com>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
The pixel gif is a trick-of-the trade. It generally is a 1x1 pixel,
transparent gif. Being so small, it's download time is negligible.
And being transparent, it's not seen.

It can be used to create margins or block out space much larger than
it's size by setting its attributes in an IMG tag (e.g., width =
whatever you want; height = whatever you want). It usually would be
placed in a table's cell as part of a page's format scheme.

The single pixel gif was popularized by David Siegel

	http://www.dsiegel.com/

although he has since moved in other directions: e.g., you can use
stylesheets to format pages instead of complicated tables.

--Jeff