Re: Eternal problems responding to posts.

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Thu, 2 Dec 1999 19:54:57 -0500
 To:  unique <unique(at)ptd.net>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I agree with you about the way the reply feature is set up. I
presumed that either HWG is using an archaic listserv system, or
possibly that someone thought that requiring an extra step to post to
the list would make people think twice before posting.

Another possibility is to prevent unintended postings that can occur
when someone uses an autoresponder to answer their emails. In another
list I susbscribed to, someone set up an autoresponder when she went
on vacation, and then every message from the list got an autoreply
back to the list, which went on and on and on until the keeper of the
list noted it and pulled the plug. Similar problems have occurred
with invalid addresses and mailer demons, etc.. I suppose that the
more sophisticated listserv software includes filters which prevent
such inadvertent spamming.

As for the cross posting, the only reason to cross post this message,
I think, would be if you want to bring this matter to the attention
of those on the other lists. Probably your message should really be
directed to the organization itself, and not the list, since it's the
organization that determines this policy and sets up the list
software, not the members. I think your assumption here is that
someone up there will see your posting, and maybe even do something
about it.

--Jeff