Re: Nested tables

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Tue, 7 Dec 1999 10:33:03 -0500
 To:  "Cassie Smit" <cassie1960(at)hotmail.com>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>I had to edit a page with tons of nested tables and also many small
>two row one column tables stacked to make a side border...

Probably that page was created using an HTML editing program. GoLive,
for example, allows fairly precise page layout, and generates tables
to format that layout. To manually create such tables would be very
tedious.

Originally, tables were designed to present tabulated data. Later it
was realized that tables could be used to format pages. It's
frequently stated that tables slow down the loading of a page. I
don't dispute that, but I haven't seen any hard data on how much
tables affect page loading, and most of us don't spend the time
setting up pages with and without tables for comparison.

To format a page, an alternative to tables is Cascading Style Sheets.
CSS has a lot of advantages, but it has one major disadvantage: it's
not recognized by many older browsers currently in use.

Some browsers are more tolerant than others of errors in coding
tables, and a few of the tables-related tags are not supported by all
browsers. So be sure to check your pages with several browsers.

--Jeff