Re: transparency

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Fri, 14 Jan 2000 00:13:58 -0500
 To:  "Jennifer C. Swartz" <eandscon(at)javanet.com>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I use Photoshop 5.0 and tried to follow the directions from another post
>concerning saving transparent images.  I exported a psd file as a
>transparent gif and while it worked, the image came out fuzzy and rough
>looking.
>
>If I flatten the layers, then 'save as' a gif, it comes out great but not
>transparent...  Can someone help?
>
>Thank you.
>
>Jen

This can be confusing because Photoshop 5 has several ways to save a
gif, and PS 5.5 has even more. I think that if you have an RGB image
with a transparent background, and then Export it as a GIF89a, you
will preserve transparency. However, if before going to the gif
format, you switch into Indexed Color Mode, you have to use the
eyedropper to select the color that you want to be transparent. This
isn't a complete explanation, but see if it makes sense (and works).

Jeff