RE: transparency

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Fri, 14 Jan 2000 10:14:29 -0500
 To:  "Jones,
Sharon" <sjones05(at)harris.com>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I think you're referring to the anti-aliasing, which creates a halo
or fringe effect when the image is placed against a background of a
different color. There are several approaches to eliminate or prevent
the halo:

I. Many PS tools have anti-aliasing as an option, and the default is
on. Turn it off: e.g., use one of the selection tools to isolate the
image, with the anti-aliasing checkbox unchecked.

II. Contract the image a few pixels, as mentioned in another post.
Elaborating: (1) Select the image. (2) Select/Modify/Contract and
enter the number of pixels. (3) Select/Feather and enter the same
number of pixels. (4) Select/Inverse to invert your selection. (5)
Delete, and voila, the fringe is gone (hopefully).

III.Anti-alias the image to the same color that will be the
background in your Web page. How you do this may vary with the image
type and version of PS. For example, in PS 5.5, when changing mode to
Indexed Color, you can select the Matte color to be the same as your
intended Web page background. If the fringe is the same color as the
background, it won't be noticed.