Re: Gutenberg DTD's

by "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman(at)ix.netcom.com>

 Date:  Sun, 12 Mar 2000 11:35:30 -0500
 To:  "Murray Altheim" <altheim(at)eng.sun.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-gutenberg-dtds(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Perhaps an XML version of TEI would suffice for many of these document
> types?

There has benn a thread on this very topic on XML Dev, and we do indeed have
a volunteer working on a subset of TEI, and it's documentation.

However IMO as presently written TEI does not meet the two most important
requirements, that it be both simp-le to use and Intuitive.

> >   2. At a minimum the DTD's should be suitable for:

This is an ambitious list, and we may not complete it all. How ever we
certainly don't need the granularity that of TEI.

My vision is for a relatively agranular basic DTD written on the DocBook
model which can have granularity added to it via modules. If any one wishes
i do have on file an XML version of TEILite that I can forward on request.
There is unfortunatly no documenttation with it. Now if some one would like
to volunteer to write documentation it _may_ possibly be useful. I would
also like to transform many of the tag names to something more intuitive.

the other thing I do not like about it is that it is mono-lithic and
un-parameterized which IMO also makes it difficult to use.

Frank