Fw: Project Gutenberg

by "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman(at)ix.netcom.com>

 Date:  Mon, 7 Feb 2000 12:38:30 -0500
 To:  <hwg-gutenberg-dtds(at)hwg.org>,
<terence(at)humanfactors.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I was looking through the Project Gutenberg material after the HWG
e-mailing
> I got today.
> I do not have too much time to look through it now. I think the XML DTD's
> need to define the character sets that can be used, there seems to be no
> reference in them. I think ISO sets or Unicode should be used, and that OS
> specific sets such as Windows should not be used.

Thank you Terence, very good points!

> I noticed that some of the XHTML pages on the Gutenberg portion of the HWG
> site are using the Windows character set

> and this might lead to problems with browsers not programmed with this
set.

I will indeed change the character sets.

FTR I used IE5's 'save as' feature to create a template for the pages, and
the b----er's changed the character set on me. i removed the rest of their
stuff but missed this one! I will change it in all the pages

> Since most books in Project Gutenberg are in English, this character set
> would probably be the best. Maybe just add the entity references for the
> XHTML character sets to the HWG Gutenberg Book Fragment DTD and make those
> available to volunteers in the same place at the book DTDs or give the
> location to the W3C location for these entities.

Yes I agree with this.

Frank