Re: Fw: Project Gutenberg

by "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman(at)ix.netcom.com>

 Date:  Mon, 7 Feb 2000 19:59:50 -0500
 To:  "Arjun Ray" <aray(at)nyct.net>,
"HWG Gutenberg DTDs" <hwg-gutenberg-dtds(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I think you mean encodings.  There's only one character set for XML
> documents.

Yes I do, I stand corrected!

> As a straw proposal for a policy, I'd suggest allowing people to
> *submit* stuff in various encodings, but *storing* them in one of a
> severely restricted number of such encodings.  (I'd go for UTF-8.)
> That involves a programmatic or controlled check-in process, of
> course.

I'm afraid that you loose me here. If I submit a document in one encoding,
say the Gujerati encoding, how do I then store it in another encoding? Also
I'm not clear whether it is possible to use the tagset of a dtd in one
encoding to mark up a different encoding, or will different DTD's have to be
developed for each encoding.

There is of course no need for documents all to be in the same ware house. I
would anticipate that it would be possible to find sites for storing the
different encodings if this is a problem.

Pardon my rather simplistic questions, but this is all rather new stuff for
me!

Can you suggest any sites or readings where I and other interested parties
can get up to speed on this subject?

TIA

Frank