Re: Bibliographic Metadata for Gutenberg

by Murray Altheim <altheim(at)eng.sun.com>

 Date:  Thu, 25 May 2000 02:01:25 -0700
 To:  habing(at)acm.org
 Cc:  hwg-gutenberg-dtds(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
"Thomas G. Habing" wrote:

> Hi Murray, et al.
>
> The DLib project with which I'm involved at the U. of Illinois has developed a
> metadata DTD based on RDF, Dublin Core, and some custom elements.  It is
> primarily focused on scientific/technical journal articles, but might provide a
> springboard to a more generic DTD.
>
> We have also been experimenting with the ISO 11179 standard for describing
> metadata (meta-meta-data :-).  You can see some of our documentation at
> http://dli.grainger.uiuc.edu/iso11179/idli.asp.  We also have a DTD for our
> scheme, which I could make available, if there is interest.  We also have XSL
> style sheets for transforming the markup to HTML for viewing extended
> citations.

I'd very certainly be interested in the projects you mention. I like to
play as much as anyone, but I also don't want to reinvent anything, esp.
since in reading through extant online information there seems to be
a multitude of overlapping projects in this area, with almost every
library seemingly creating their own metadata "standard". This would be
one reason to approach perhaps getting the Dublin Core, Gutenberg and
OASIS (ie., industry) together in a single schema, if that's possible.

I'll look into the URL you provided, but I'd also be interested in your
DTD and XSLT stylesheet too.

Thanks very much!

Murray

Murray Altheim                            <mailto:altheim&#x40;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

   the honey bee is sad and cross and wicked as a weasel
   and when she perches on you boss she leaves a little measle -- archy